Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciel's asthma.

Ciel's asthma.

It's hard for me to believe that Ciel has an asthma.
    - Ciel can breave easily, but how? I can't believe in effectiveness of XIX medicine. I have asthma and I can't survive a week without medicine.
    - It was only two times Ciel had an asthma attack. ( I mean, big problems with breathing)
    - There's no fever in asthma.
    - Running with zombies~ - Sebastian did mention Ciel's coughing and cold but... offering him a tailcoat won't do. Covering his mouth and nose is better...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ciel doesn't have an asthma but just a bronchitis or an allergy. This topic is especially to people with asthma, who know something more about this horrible disease
    My dA account

"THERE IS NO GOD BUT MYSELF" "KNOWING THIS, WHO DARES WORSHIP THE FALSE GODS OF THE KORAN AND BIBLE?"
    -SATAN

I remember somewhere they said that "it's cured". Is there a cure for asthma? I really don't know, and I'd love to know.

Also, I think his fever was from being exposed to cold water and the drastic temperature change caused him to have a cold.

Could asthma be a translation mistake then?
    Last edited by angryazn; 07-06-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Me and angryazn have a cousin who has asthma, he plays sports all the time and has no problem with it. But then again we are not very clear on his medical situation.

Personally, I think Yana sensei say that Ciel has asthma just to make you feel like he's weak and needs protection from other people. It's more of a character element then anything else if you ask me. But I guess she should have look more into it before she puts that in there. I would think that she has, since she is so careful with details and everything. But maybe something just slipped by unnoticed.

It's a love hate relationship. <3

I'm sure it's not a translation mistake. IMHO, either the disease is just not portrayed exactly correctly or there's more types of asthma? :/

★ //DevianTart||Tumbling||Shitter\\ ★
      Spoiler!

Mephistoxcandy = still my OTP
    Would you play chess without knowing how? Me neither.
    Please read the forum rules.

awkward social penguin. Yuriski's Avatar
    In a world where there're flying spaghetti monsters and unicorns.
    I have severe asthma and I can do sports with no problems at all. I got my asthma attack mostly only when the air pressure is low, when my dust allergy triggers it, when there's fog or smoke, or when I laughed too much or got too high (yes it sucks I know )
    Having asthma does not mean that you can not breath all the time, you just have problem breathing when you have asthma attack, and when it's not attacking, Ciel can always behave (and breathe) like a how a normal person does.
    and yes, asthma can be fully cured (almost-fully). There's no exact medical cure for asthma but it is said if you're able to self-cure your asthma during your young age (childhood) then it is most likely to be fully cured, or it is said to be (In this case, my second sister). They normally wouldnt bother you again, and mild and normal substances that used to trigger your asthma during young age would not be much of a bother anymore (as it is already cured). Well, unless all the circumstances suddenly came back to trigger them at the same time (as in Ciel's case, plus he was emotionally/psychologically unstable at that time, giving a higher risk of the asthma to return), and once it attacked again, it is most likely to be come back to you, and it'll normally stick with you if you're already a grown up by that time (normally said to be after twelve).

and hmm, well, I think that giving the tail coat actually helps. The things to trigger an asthma may be different for different persons. For example, my father, he gets an asthma whenever he feels cold; and as for my younger brother, whenever he has aggressive sports. According to the manga, what triggers Ciel's asthma is the low temperature and his cold. And so any chances of catching a cold might lead to his asthma anytime, thus it is a wise choice for Sebastian to give him his tail coat to keep him warm, at least to try to lower the risk of the cold before it actually leads to the asthma. and before the asthma actually attacks, covering the mouth and nose won't do anything better, unless there's smoke that is

errr, I hope that I'm answering your questions..?

lovely sign by my lovely sibling, Xoppa <33
    Finally found my long lost twin, Stripe hajksad <33
    hot hot lovely sexey hubby, Ritsu <33
    FOREVER SOUL SOUL MATE TO BE MARRIED, Ninjabelle <33 (you guys dont even know half of it. fu.)
      Spoiler!

and also The Undertaker x Druitt FC

After all, I'm one hell of a Black Butler's fan.

On my knees, between Claude's thighs. What? I'm measuring him!
    I've had asthma since I was little. It's quite under control now (though I do have to be careful in cold weather and like to keep an inhaler handy), but when I was younger it was awful. Everything set it off and I had to go to the hospital a good few times.
    Anyway, like Yuriski said, different things can trigger asthma attacks, for me it's things like exertive sports, dust (so I can't sweep or dust anything myself), smoke, and cold weather makes my chest feel like it's been laced into a corset. I've also heard about people who get asthma attacks when they're stressed or upset, so that might be an explanation for Ciel there.
    It affects everyone differently. For example, Vampire Lady, it sounds as though your asthma is the same as mine was when I was younger, I would have to use my inhaler every day. I'm much better now though, but I still have to be careful.

One thing I didn't quite get though, is that somewhere in the circus arc Ciel throws up during an attack. That never happened to me, but like I said everyone is different, so maybe some people get that.
    Avatar and sig by the lovely Miyotis!
      Spoiler!
    Member of: Madame Red FC, Frances Midford FC, TonChinKan FC, Undertaker FC, the Shinigami FC, Alois FC, Claude FC, Jun Fukuyama FC, Sebastian FC and the Sebastian x Claude FC.
    I would join every fan club if I could find them all.

Claims: Beast's heart tattoo.
    Date a Character: Claude is my husband, Beast my sister and Alois my little brother! We make quite the interesting family
    Also married to Yin. Scandal.

Asthma doesn't have a cure, but it can weaken over the years owo I had pretty bad asthma when I was young, younger than Ciel is, and I had to take a puffer with me all the time, especially in winter. As I got older, though, it's faded, and I haven't had an asthma attack in at least 6 years owo

I breathe perfectly easily, just like Ciel can, and, from memory, was able to at his age. It's only when I start exerting myself that it becomes a problem - running for any length of time has me wheezing for breath, it's why my friends hate me doing the Cross Country carnivals at school and why I end up walking most of it. Just because he doesn't have a severe case, that doesn't mean he's not got asthma.

Once again, at Ciel's age the closest I got to an asthma attack was having troubles breathing and coughing for the simple reason my airway was getting clogged. And I do have diagnosed asthma.

In the Circus Arc, Ciel's asthma attack was due to the beginnings of a severe cold, which does cause fever.

You have to remember, this is the 19th Century and not only would they not have known as much as we do now about asthma, Sebby's admitted to the fact he knew nothing of asthma before Ciel's first attack, he's probably not sure how best to keep Ciel warm while they're still on the move as they are now. While they're running about, covering his nose and mouth with anything would make breathing even harder. Being kept warm is important - I always wrap up my neck in the cold, since I start coughing and having trouble breathing when my neck's cold owo

Bronchitis is an infection of the lungs, right? Just because Ciel's case of asthma isn't severe doesn't mean he's not affected by it.

Definition of asthma: A respiratory condition marked by spasms in the bronchi of the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing. It usually results from an allergic reaction or other forms of hypersensitivity.
    I know asthma's been explained to me as a reversible obstruction of the airways - basically a mucus build up that starts clogging your throat.

I believe it's mentioned somewhere that Ciel's mother also had asthma, a severe case that prevented her from doing strenuous activity like playing with Ciel and Lizzie when they were younger? And I think it's mentioned that Ciel's asthma was worse when he was younger, and that he hadn't been bothered by it for awhile.
    But, like I said and like Yuriski said, generally a person with asthma can breathe normally for the majority of the time, and by the time you get around 12/13 the worst most would get is wheezing after a lot of running. Each time Ciel's had an asthma attack, he has been under emotional, mental and physical strains, which has put a strain on his breathing and made his asthma flare up again.
    Honestly, the last bad asthma attack I can remember was year 4 Cross Country where I was panicking 'cause I could feel my asthma playing up and didn't have my puffer on me while running. After that I've only had a few coughing fits a year because I've been running in the cold.

Thank you very much for the info The throwing up is the next thing... I think it was sputum, but seriously, in real life you won't throw up that much of it. Maybe it was for "fanservice", so it could look yaoi :/
    My dA account

"THERE IS NO GOD BUT MYSELF" "KNOWING THIS, WHO DARES WORSHIP THE FALSE GODS OF THE KORAN AND BIBLE?"
    -SATAN

I'm no expert on asthma (I suffer from a very, very light case that never needed to be treated so I don't know a thing, to be frank), but the vomiting seems to be Ciel's "special" reaction when it comes to physical or psychological breakdowns. They cut it in the anime (like Ciel's asthma in general or his cat allergy), except for that scene from the Jack the Ripper Arc, but in the manga, it occurs quite often. In two flashbacks, once in the Jack the Ripper Arc, twice in the Circus Arc and I'm sure I forgot something there.
    Damn, that kid has a weak stomach. (And even his VOMIT is pretty. No disgusting pieces of half-disgested food in there, nothing. Dude! )

awkward social penguin. Yuriski's Avatar
    In a world where there're flying spaghetti monsters and unicorns.
    you're welcome! It's always nice to share but errrr, sorry if I sound mean, but I'll have to deny you on that again D8
    throwing up is normal for asthma, especially due to that aggressive and excessive coughing. You'll feel like you're practically coughing your lungs out, so...throwing up? I'd vote for a 'yes' here. and oh, that happens mostly only if you coughed a lot during your asthma attack, or you catch a cold during your asthma attack (since you'll be coughing a lot lol). I understand what you mean, where breathing difficulty won't lead to throwing up, coughing does

lovely sign by my lovely sibling, Xoppa <33
    Finally found my long lost twin, Stripe hajksad <33
    hot hot lovely sexey hubby, Ritsu <33
    FOREVER SOUL SOUL MATE TO BE MARRIED, Ninjabelle <33 (you guys dont even know half of it. fu.)
      Spoiler!

and also The Undertaker x Druitt FC

After all, I'm one hell of a Black Butler's fan.